Who’d have thought that this year Christmas would be as it is… No one could have known the plans put in place would suddenly be scrapped due to a pandemic. But there it is and people are sorely disappointed, understandably so!
Frustration, sadness, loneliness are just a couple of things we’re digesting this Christmas, let alone the fear of illness plus it’s already a darker time of the year so it can be easy to feel really low or even miserable. We’re already in Tier 4 where we live but I’m not going to discuss the political angle, it’s too irritating.
There are some simple things we can do & focus on to lift our spirits. Fancy taking a peek? Small things can make a difference…
- Get out for a walk daily, no matter the weather. I know this is England and it sucks to walk in the rain but I guarantee it makes us all feel better getting some fresh air. Wear the appropriate layers/coat and do it, even if you don’t want to!
- Drink water – I know this is a given for any day but guess what, heating on, loads more sugar indulgances (come on let’s be honest), more alcohol etc may feel great at the time but actually increases inflammation in the body. So help your body flush it out.
- Add 1 single drop of doTERRA Lemon/Grapefruit/Lime essential oil to add taste to your water, they’re food grade oils & they actually lift your mood while supporting your body’s digestive & cleansing functions. Double bonus there.
- Give yourself a pampering treat, all lads & ladies deserve to feel good after this year: Take a bath with a mugfull of bath salts, a tablespoon of fractionated coconut oil & 3-5 drops of essential oil, swirl it in & soak for 20 mins:
Wild Orange is lush- a happy smell, will boost your mood.
Deep Blue oil- lovely and soothing, eucalyptus/minty blend.
Lavender, Clary Sage, Frankincense or Geranium are all good options too.
5. Put on a diffuser with some essential oils. On Guard essential oil blend has tons of benefit plus smells typically Christmassy with Orange/Clove/Cinnamon notes, or Forest Breeze is my new obsession- calming & grounding pine tree oils ✨ Love it! Aromas are powerful, they can trigger happy memories in the brain, remind you of places and people so make use of it & cosy up your home.
6. Use Forgive Touch oil blend as a perfume which helps you keep positive, or use Cheer Touch oil blend if you prefer which helps you similarly keep optimistic. Seriously though, these oils are not to be underestimated because they gently align your energy back into harmony and allow you to feel yet not get stuck in your emotions.
7.Make something. Paper craft, keeps my kids quiet for ages, yes there’s some mess afterwards but hello thats life anyway. Anything for quiet- plus actually our paper snowflake windows and hanging paper bag stars are awesome, see below my daughters creation (she’s 11). Tons of YouTube how to videos out there.
8. Speak to & connect with people, use Facetime, video calls, messenger or whatever you’re used to. You are not alone, reach out if you need help because there are many people feeling a bit weirded out and lost without their familiar or usual connections in place. It doesn’t have to be hour long chats but break up the day by short intervals and try to keep it varied.
9. Put on some lively music and dance or shake it out! Proven good for the soul, music and movement gets your blood circulating and switches up your energy… Let it all hang out & laugh at yourself!
10. Practice gratitude daily. Write it out on scraps of paper, the things that make you smile, glad or happy. Get a clean jam-jar full of all the small things you can think of, no matter how small write it down & pop it in there. Add to it each week if you like to and next Christmas you can review everything in the pot. If you have kids, get them to join in.
If you’d like to learn more about using essential oils to help feel balance and keep emotions in check, join my Facebook group Essential Oil Hub or pop me a direct message below to discuss how to get started/choose what oils you need, tailored to you.